Mesa Schoolhouse

Mesa Schoolhouse
A fine example of the rural, one-room schoolhouse – the Mesa Schoolhouse – is preserved thanks a collaborative effort that includes Historic Routt County, the City of Steamboat Springs and Yampa Valley Land Trust.  Located a little over a miles south of the junction of Highway 40 and Highway 131, at the base of Rabbit Ears Pass, the half-acre site preserves the history and culture of Routt County’s ranching culture of a century ago.

Built in 1916 by builder Arthus Gomprecht, the wood-frame schoolhouse sheltered a classroom, small library, coal storage, two outhouses and a stove for the children and families of the Stringtown area.  Dances, plays, dinners and celebrations were centered in the schoolhouse.  Later on, the bell tower, flagpole and porch were added.

Mesa Schoolhouse was the last schoolhouse to close in 1959 in a wave of consolidation.  It was used as a hunting lodge in the early ‘70s, then was the residence of the Brostrom family from 1975 on until purchased by Historic Routt County and the City of Steamboat Springs.  YVLT holds a conservation easement on the property that incorporates a façade easement on the structure.