Redmond Ranch: A Colorado Centennial Ranch in the Making

Jack and Wanda Redmond

Jack and Wanda Redmond

Ten miles west of the town of Yampa, the 387.5-acre Redmond Ranch is graced by aspen, sagebrush and scrub oak on hillsides, overlooking irrigated hay meadows, open grazing and pastureland – the Bull Creek drainage.  The ranch headquarters denote a classic working ranch at the heart of a property important for historic, wildlife, agricultural and scenic values.

 

Jack and Wanda Redmond, working with the Yampa Valley Land Trust, which was awarded funding from a competitive grant process through the Routt County Purchase of Development Rights Program, created a conservation easement to protect the land.  Initially homesteaded by the William Boor family in 1890, the property was used by James Redmond (senior) in 1917 and purchased by him in 1920.

The Redmond family has been on the property for over 90 years, with Jack and Wanda gaining full ownership in 1980, after managing the property since 1950.  Jack was born in the historic homestead house on the Redmond Ranch on April 13, 1922.  The ranch and the historic ranch house has been his home until his passing on October 20, 2013.

 

Redmond RanchhouseThe Redmond ranch has grown lettuce, oat and barley crops, hay, Hereford cattle, and notably, two high-quality purebred sheep flocks, Suffolks and Rambouillets.  Today, the Redmond ranch supports a cow/calf and hay operation.  According to the Colorado Historical Society, “The Redmond Ranch, more than any other ranch in the community, tells the story off agriculture in Southern Routt County.”  The ranch provides critical habitat for the Columbian sharp-tailed grouse, deer, elk and sandhill crane.

 

“Working with Jack and Wanda over the years has been another incredible adventure in discovering the history that has shaped Routt County and the Yampa River Valley,” stated Susan Dorsey, Executive Director of Yampa Valley Land Trust, “Early on I also learned from Wanda the proper way to open and close – with leverage – a very tight wire fence!”